RCMB Ch Farewell Long Overdue

Post/Reply for information that concerns the operation, maintenance, rules of the RCMB's Parkton Flying field
Forum rules
Consider that all information, data, pictures, and opinions posted are fully available to the general public. While this may not support viewing rates similar to social web sites, all information in these forums should considered that it will be viewed by the internet public and automated data retrieval system.

All postings should be by RCMB club members for their use or for data exchange with the club at large.

Postings are subject to moderator/admin approval and may be removed.

Improper language in posts will not be acceptable.

Any posted SPAM or unrelated material will result in material and account removal.

The accepted language is English for all postings.

You need to be registered member for access to posting/replying on Forums.

RCMB Ch Farewell Long Overdue

Postby mBagley » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:54 pm

A letter of Appreciation from former club member sent to Charile Riley:

Mike,

Is it possible for you to post the contents of Chris Bellman’s letter below onto our WEB site in a location representing Letter’s of Appreciation or the like? If you can, I will send a short note to everyone that there is a letter on the site from Chris. I would rather do that than send the letter to everyone by e-mail. I don’t think he knew most of the members.

Charlie

Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 6:39 PM
To: CharlesWRiley
Subject: Re: RCMB Ch Farewell Long Overdue

Hi Charlie, Hey Guys:
I've wanted to tell you and of course show this email is way over do but my move to Northern NJ was successful and exhausting as of Early June to mid June.. There maybe some of you on the membership list who are saying, "who is this guy" and I can understand that. But I have included my first attachment above who you can put the name with the face. I only had a fast chance to really tell some of you, that I had this spring, no choice but to leave the Baltimore area and move back to NJ to help with aging parents and rethink my future.

I was closest with Charlie Riley a lot when I joined RCMB now 2 years ago and leaving there and the RCMB field and its members made me want to bust something! As some of you may recall, I rarely had a chance to get to the Parkton Kirk field..My last work in the Hunt Valley area was at a store called "Plow and Hearth" where the hours were terrible and I had no choice but to take evening shifts.. Which really killed my involvement with participation. I wanted to participate or assist in many areas but the crazy job would not make it possible.

When I came back up this way to NJ, it made things all the more worse?! I don't think my bags/furniture were on the ground a day when I jumped in the car and headed to my old AMA sponsored Club field. Formerly called "Wayne Modelers" of Wayne, NJ and sadly still named that. I say sadly because, the Township since then has moved into that old "Sandpit Valley" as it once was and now developed it as a Twp. Park? complete with added Ball fields and small memorial.

Oh Wayne Modelers is still there but the southern end of all this (I forgot to say earlier) is protected wetlands, or very nearby swamp! The current club, allowed the township to push them all the way to the shore of the swamp making anything 1/4 scale or more, a challenge to even leave the ground! I have been back nearly 8 times, to catch someone there, just to learn about the latest guidelines and never saw one person, even on beautiful Sundays! They do have a website but almost no activity on it and no replies. Last week for Thanksgiving my friend Karl from south Florida showed up for the Holiday with his family. He was the one who got me involved in RC flight now almost 28 years ago. I took him down there the day after Thanksgiving and to our shock! Someone was there flying an RC Helicopter! That guy thought the place was great but we remained in Shock! When we asked, "What do you do when your plane is in trouble and your heading for the water"? He said no problem! There are several boats available as he pointed to the west side of the Runway! lol I remained disgusted and continued to seek other options. Thank god for the Internet and AMA!

I went on the AMA website and searched for the listing of NY area Fields and walla! There are 3 (not including Wayne) all within about a Half-hours drive. The first I checked out (online was called Radio controlled modelers of North Jersey).. Turned out they had a nice field yet in a Very remote area close to the NY state boarder.. which Required a "Highground clearance vehicle!! and at least 1 spare tire"?? That would not mix well with my car! But there is a good ending to all of this. My search also brought me to Bridgewater, NJ off Rt 202 were "The Somerset Signal Senders" have been an active AMA club since 1989.

They held there annual "Turkey Fun Fly" as they called it,, the Sunday before the Holiday and it was cold! But I met a good # of members of the club and even saw someone using the new FPV field of view. There field is also on Park land however you can probably land a 747 on it if you want to its so big! Several of the members swapped stories with me and I saw some similar finished flying models which made me feel at home again.

The flight sights and field faces to the west with no paved runway but a landscaping job that makes the grass seem golfcourse like .. Also they fly mainly in the morning (to beat the afternoon Sun angle)...I know I can settle in in here but I still need to settle. The reason for my lack of flight at RCMB was because 1) I had little time and 2) I was living in a small Apt which made it difficult to set up a shop with fuel. I have now cleared a good portion of my parents very crowded basement and have started to rebuild the great shop I once had here. Once I get that done which (has been a challenge), I should be good to go.
I'm sure NJ will give me the tools I need to move on with my life, and getting readjusted so far has been a smooth one. Hurricane Sandy ROCKED the NY area and by some kind of miracle my parents Vacation home on LBI, NJ (Just north of Atlantic City) was spared almost "0" damage!? Just some basement/garage flooding which was also reported by some of there friends and neighbors..Here in the Northern part of the state, we went with out power for nearly a week and there are still many huge trees down but power and life has been mainly restored. I heard MD had it pretty hard as well!

The attachments above, were #1 the shot of me with my Astro 40 a (dated low Wing and the only low Wing I still have). I will once again try to reintroduce it to the air hopefully in the months ahead! The other shots are from the Last RCMB activity I did and Don Stricker's Helicopter...These pics were from the Spring Fling with you guys which was a nice day. I have more in my archives.. also a nice shot of Jerry McCallums 1/2 Pup in flight. I can send you some shots or even add to RCMB site sometime or soon! I have plans to buy another perhaps RTF Glider but still shopping and some other plans once I get the shop done. The indoor Albatros I have flown with you guys earlier this year, has developed some gear trouble but I think I can fix it shortly too. I am curious to know who has built what and or crashed what and how everyone is doing with Leo's fast combat wings!?

I want to thank ALL the members of RCMB for your added Friendship, RC help and Support for the short 2 years I was there!! Charlie, Ron,Gene, Jack, Don, Don,Don, Jerry, Jerry,Chris, Chuck, Leo and Walt D, and many others I have met there and cannot list! The RCMB field and members were definitely a very nice time, I would love to come and visit/fly but it may be hard for me to do so anytime soon.
Charlie you know if I am in the area and can help with field I will definitely do so. I hope you guys have a Very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season and New Year!!! Thanks again for some great events and fun times!

(Charlie or Jack if you could forward or share this with members or at the next meeting if it doesn't make to others).. Thank You again!
Sincerely
Chris Bellman

club1.jpg
club1.jpg (68.13 KiB) Viewed 3401 times

club2.jpg
club2.jpg (44.95 KiB) Viewed 3401 times

club3.jpg
club3.jpg (137.27 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
mBagley

Re: RCMB Ch Farewell Long Overdue

Postby mBagley » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:55 pm

More Photos